Who May Apply: US Citizens
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element):
Ability to do the work of a(n) First Assistant Engineer Towboat (DR)~ without more than normal supervision: Conducting periodic inspections of machinery and observes gages, checking oil levels, motor generators, gearbox, generator temperatures, fuel levels, etc. ;checking and controlling operation of heating, refrigerating, plumbing, and water supply systems for the dredge; and investigating and determining the cause and remedial action necessary when noting unusual or unnatural condition in machinery operations.
- Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision Screen Out
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (includes blueprint reading)
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Knowledge of Equipment Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc.
- Knowledge of Materials
- Technical Practices for Seagoing Vessels
- Use of Measuring Instruments
- PHYSICAL EFFORT: Incumbent performs work from ladders, scaffolding, and platforms and where the parts, equipment, or systems are in hard-to-reach places. Work requires the incumbent to stand, stoop, bend, kneel, climb, and work in a tiring and uncomfortable position. Frequently lifts, carries, and sets up parts and equipment that weigh up to 50 pounds.
- WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed inside and outside, subjecting employee to varying climatic conditions, abnormal noises, temperature, danger of burns, irritation from grease and oils, bruises, strains, danger from attending moving machinery, falling overboard, electrical shock, falls on slippery decks or steep stairways, possible drowning, and crankcase explosion. A life jacket is worn at all times while on deck.
**All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
**This announcement may be used to fill like vacancies for six months after the closing date.